I just made this pita bread, it was easy and very yummy!
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 1/2 cup warm water
- 3 cups white flour
- 1 1/2 cups wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Combine yeast, 1/2 cup water, honey, cover and let set for 10 minutes in a warm place until mixture is frothy.
- Place all ingredients and the yeast mixture into a bow of a mixer and mix for 10 minutes for a soft dough.
- Divide dough into 12 pieces and make into a ball. Cover and let rest until doubled, about a hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 550 (my oven only goes to 500 but that worked just fine)
- Roll into 16cm rounds.
- Place right on to the oven racks (if the bread falls though the rack then place on a cooling rack in the oven), back for about 2 minutes, or until the bubbles are lightly browned.
- Pull the bread out of the oven and poke with a knife and deflate the bubbles.
(Original recipe: http://arabicbites.blogspot.com/2007/09/pita-bread.html)